Tuesday 2 December 2014

So you want a career in the law? I have the answers....trust me

Hi!

Thanks for clicking on my blog. Ok so I'll admit now, I'm very very new to this, but bare with me . So long as you're in the law game, the information and links I publish here WILL help you whether doing you're doing GCSEs, A-levels, degrees or LPCs! 

But first.......WHO AM I?

My name is Jon. 6'2, love eating terrible food (my two best friends are Ben and Jerry), have an amazing metabolism (thank god!) and attempt to convince myself I'm healthy by going to the gym three times a week. I am currently studying the LPC and have a training contract with a large regional law firm in England. I come from an average family, studied my law degree at UEA and now balance my LPC studies with a part time job whilst somehow maintaining a decent social life. 

Right there we go, me in a nutshell.

Let's skip to the important bit...

SO what can this blog do for you? No matter where you are in your studies, I can help. My aim is to pass on to you my experience and give you the information that I wish I'd had. Yep, I'm sure you've trawled through Student forums' in a desperate attempt to find the answer to your questions and come across numerous articles from 2007, 2008, 2009- but can you really rely on them today? That's where I come in. I'VE GOT YOUR BACK!



What's in the bag?

Yes this blog is very new, so yes you won't find all of the below....yet (I'm working on it I promise!). But below is a list of the topic areas that you will eventually be able to read about. For ease, I've split the topics into age-specific sections, but don't let it stop you reading ahead or brushing up on the past.

14-16
  • Work experience- how to actually get some
  • What GCSE options to choose- click here
16-18
  • How to become a solicitor- click here
  • Personal statement hints and tips
  • What uni?
Undergrad
  • Day 1 of Uni
  • Pro bono- say waaa?
  • Mooting
  • Negotiations
  • Client Interviewing
  • First year doesn't count right?......wrong!!!
  • Stay alert
  • Vacation schemes, or just go on vacation?
  • Dealing with lectures
  • Time management- yes this sounds like a particularly boring article, but trust me, read it!
Careers
  • Applications
  • Interviews
  • Networking
LPC
  • where to go
  • what to expect
  • LPC diary- (I'll keep updating this as I progress through the course, giving you the most up-to-date information possible)

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION? JUST MESSAGE ME AND I WILL ANSWER IT HERE






So whaddaya say? You in?



RULE 1- KEEP THIS IN MIND- Don't ever say you're not in it for the money....I am



No comments:

Post a Comment